easy slow cooker chicken adobo-- a taste of home

Thursday, November 19, 2015

I grew up having my grandmother and mom cook chicken and pork adobo for us. I am half Filipino (mom's side) and half Caucasian (dad's side). We would always joke with my dad, asking him if he loved being Filipino. Of course he said he loved it!
Adobo has always been one of my favorite Filipino dishes, especially when my grandmother makes it, and it is one of my comfort foods.  When people ask me to try Filipino food, it's the one I recommend.
I have awesome memories of when my great aunt babysat my sisters and me.  My mom would leave a typical much for us, like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  Mama Mart would bring some of her adobo from home for her lunch and my sisters and I would bribe her to trade lunch with us.... and she did everytime. Aaah, the good ole days!
The version I've started making for my family is a bit simplified and super easy.  My sister was actually the one who gave me the idea to use the crock pot to make this easy chicken dish even easier. I usually serve it over white rice and with a side of green beans, just like my mom did when I grew up.  Everyone in my family, including Ty, loves it! Here's the recipe:

Grocery List
1-2 lbs. frozen chicken thigh (I've also done it with breast, but thigh wins for flavor!)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 cup chicken broth
4 -5 cloves of garlic
black pepper to taste

Put all ingredients in the crock pot and set it on LOW for 6-8 hours.
When it's done, serve over hot rice and ENJOY!
Told you it was easy. Prep is under 5 minutes... you can't beat that!
Now do yourself a favor and go try it! You might love Filipino food now, and have a new weeknight meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS