AHA! moment: pumpkin puree

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

If you are anything like me, when you look at a pumpkin, you see all the many things you can carve in it.  Honestly, until having babies, I never went to the pumpkin patch to buy a pumpkin to cook with.  The plan was always to take a million cute pictures with it, carve it into something creative, MAYBE roast the seeds, and let it sit on my front steps with my mums and festive wreath as decor for the season until it eventually rotted and I had Justin toss it in the dump. I cannot believe looking back that I wasted such a yummy, versatile squash!
This year, I have Elena who is in the baby food stage and loves almost anything pureed.  If I would have realized earlier how easy it was to make pumpkin puree (which isn't just for babies!) I would have started a LOT sooner! The price of canned pumpkin puree is crazy and one pumpkin makes so much!
Here's how I cooked mine:
1. Wash the squash!
2. Cut it in half from top to bottom.
3.  Scoop out the guts.
4. Rub the inside with olive oil and sprinkle with Kosher salt.
5. Place face down on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
6. Cover with foil and roast at 400*F until fork- tender (about 40 minutes).
7. Once cool, scoop out the 'meat' and puree on high until smooth. (I used my Ninja!)


Not only did Elena love this, but Ty did too.  I didn't even add anything to it.  You could also use it as you would the canned puree in savory sauces and soups or sweet desserts.  And it freezes beautifully! Oh, the possibilities...

Pumpkin isn't just for carving in our house any more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS